BBQ Chicken Sweet Potato Nachos are a hassle-free appetizer or entree that’s perfect for game day.. or any day! Sliced sweet potatoes are roasted to perfection, loaded with juicy barbecue chicken and all the fixings, and finished with a melty layer of cheese.
Hi friends! Just popping in quickly to share an easy and delicious recipe for the “big game” that’s coming up this weekend!
I say “big game” in quotations because, if we’re being honest, I really don’t care for either of the teams playing. In fact, it’s rare that I have much of a preference one Super Bowl team over another. Let’s just say that being from Upstate New York and living in Ohio doesn’t leave a whole lot to root for come NFL playoff time…
Nevertheless, the Super Bowl is something that I look forward to year after year. Because, let’s be real, I’m always down for an excuse to enjoy good food in good company. And isn’t that what the Super Bowl’s all about? (I mean, come on – it even has the word “bowl” in the name….)
These BBQ Chicken Sweet Potato Nachos can easily serve as a standalone dinner entree or a fun appetizer/snack, making them perfect for game day – or any day! Plus, they’re just as easy as they are delicious (and trust me.. they. are. DELICIOUS.) Just throw the chicken in the slow cooker, slice and bake a few sweet potatoes, and load on ALL the toppings.
Because, when it comes to nachos, more toppings >>>> less toppings, amiright?
This recipe is essentially a more sophisticated, yet trashed up, version of the classic bar food and guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser. So no matter who you’re rooting for this weekend (or not rooting for, for that matter), I think we can all agree that these BBQ Chicken Sweet Potato Nachos are the REAL MVP.
- 1 chicken breast (about 8oz)
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce (gluten free if necessary)
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used a Colby Jack blend)
- 1 roma tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup scallions, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- Add chicken to slow cooker and cover with barbecue sauce. Toss once to coat. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4, until chicken is cooked through and falls apart easily.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred using two forks. Return to slow cooker and toss with juices. Cover and keep warm until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice sweet potatoes into 1/4" thick rounds. Toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with chili powder. Spread sweet potatoes in an even layer on prepared baking sheet, being careful not to overcrowd the pan (you may need to use two baking sheets).
- Bake sweet potatoes for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through. At the halfway mark (15 minutes), toss corn with remaining 1 tsp olive oil and add to baking sheet. Return sweet potatoes and corn to oven for the final 15 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are crisp and corn is lightly roasted.
- Remove corn from pan and set aside. Top the sweet potatoes with shredded chicken, black beans, and cheese. Return to oven for about 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Top the nachos with the remaining ingredients (tomato, scallion, cilantro, and avocado) and drizzle with additional barbecue sauce.
- Serves 2 as an entree or 4-6 as an appetizer/snack.
- Recipe can easily be doubled to feed a larger crowd.