Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh. YOU GUYS.
My fingers are literally dancing off the keyboard right now as I type up this post. (Partly because I had an extra cup of coffee this morning, but mostly because I’m just SO DARN EXCITED about this recipe) I basically took three of my favorite foods (salmon, pistachios, and goat cheese) and combined them into one dish. And let’s just say, the results were even MORE epic than I could have imagined.
I’m a firm believer that you don’t need a lot of time (or ingredients) to make a healthy and delicious meal. That being said, all you need to make this Herbed Goat Cheese and Pistachio Crusted Salmon is just 15 minutes and 3 main ingredients (plus a few pinches of herbs for flavor!) And despite the fact that this dish tastes incredibly indulgent, it’s actually extremely nutritious!
In fact, this recipe is practically the poster child for heart health. Which is quite timely, given the fact that February is American Hearth Month.
The topic of heart health has always held a special place in my heart (no pun intended, but I’ll take it), given that cardiovascular disease runs in my family. So, from the moment I learned that there were nutrients in foods that could help to protect my heart – and potentially even prevent heart disease – I was sold. After all, any excuse to include my salmon and nuts (and not to mention avocado, dark chocolate, and legumes) is fine by me.
Now, I’ve already geeked out over all of the heart health benefits of salmon elsewhere, so today I’m here to gush about one of my favorite nuts.. pistachios!
Let’s kick off this party with a few fun facts about this nutty little guy, shall we?
- Pistachios are known as The Fit NutTM because they are one of the highest protein and fiber snack nuts that are part of a heart-healthy lifestyle. Scientific evidence suggests (but does not prove) that eating 1.5 ounces per day of most nuts, such as pistachios, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol may reduce the risk of heart disease.
- In-Shell Pistachios are known as The Mindful NutTM because they may help you “fool yourself full” because the leftover shells may provide a visual cue for portions, potentially helping to curb intake. (Not to mention.. is it just me, or is cracking nuts pretty much the most therapeutic thing ever?) In fact, there have even been studies conducted that support this so-called “Pistachio Principle”. One preliminary behavioral study in particular found that participants who consumed in-shell pistachios ate 41% fewer calories compared to those who consumed pistachios without the shell.
- Pistachios are known as The Skinny NutTM because they are one of the lowest calorie and lowest fat snack nuts.
- Pistachios are known as The Colorful NutTM. The green and red-purple hues of pistachios actually come from antioxidants! #eattherainbow
- Pistachios are The Happy NutTM because you don’t snackrifice – snack happy: pistachios offer great taste AND good health (plus, they’re the original snack that smiles back!)
While I love snacking on Wonderful Pistachios for a mid-morning snack, I also love incorporating them into my meals whenever the opportunity presents itself. One of my favorite ways to do so lately has been grinding them up and substituting them in place of breadcrumbs. The chopped nuts create a crunchy, flavorful coating that pairs perfectly with pretty much any meat or seafood (especially salmon!) Oh, and the crunchy texture of the pistachios works perfectly with the creamy texture of the goat cheese (crunchy and creamy is the new sweet and salty.. who’s with me?!)
This Herbed Goat Cheese and Pistachio Crusted Salmon would make the most impressive and romantic Valentine’s Day dinner for you and your significant other (unless, of course, your significant other is crazy and doesn’t like salmon *cough* Kyle *cough*… in which case, treat ‘yoself) But, this recipe is also ridiculously quick and easy (less than 20 minutes from start to finish!), so it’s perfect for your average busy weeknight!
Alright, that’s all for now! I hope you’ll give this recipe a try and let me know what you think! If you do, be sure to tag me on social media so I can see your beautiful creations!
This Herbed Goat Cheese and Pistachio Crusted Salmon is as easy as it is delicious! Buttery salmon is topped with tangy herbed goat cheese and crunchy roasted pistachios for a simple, healthy dish that's ready in just 15-minutes.
- 2 salmon filets (4-6oz each)
- 2 oz goat cheese, room temperature
- 1 oz Wonderful Pistachios
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp chives (or scallions), chopped
- pinch black pepper
Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place pistachios in the bowl of a small food processor (or high-speed blender); coarsely chop. Remove and set aside.
Add goat cheese to food processor; pulse until creamy. Add herbs and seasoning; continue to blend until well combined, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
Arrange salmon skin side down on parchment lined baking sheets; spread goat cheese mixture evenly on top. Spoon crushed pistachios on top of each filet; press down gently to adhere to goat cheese.
Bake salmon in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes per inch of thickness, or until the flesh easily flakes with a fork. Allow salmon to rest for at least 2 minutes before serving.*
* When removing from oven, an internal thermometer inserted at the thickest part should read at least 130 degrees Fahrenheit (the salmon will continue to cook while resting on the baking sheet).
** Feel free to substitute other herbs or spices in place of the ones listed or use dried herbs, rather than fresh (though you may need to adjust the quantities slightly)